Friday 25 February 2022

Evensong: For many are cold, but few are frozen

During this time of asserting national sovereignty, here's some nonsense from the seventeenth century, alleging the supernatural specialness of Britain. King Arthur, or The British Worthy, is a semi-opera in five acts with music by Henry Purcell and a libretto by John Dryden. It was first performed at the Queen's Theatre, Dorset Garden, London, in late May or early June 1691. A semi-opera was an operatic form in which the principal characters talk, rather than sing, at each other, and the musical interest is carried by set pieces or masques performed for the principals. Here's the story: There are two claimants to rule the Britons: the Christian Arthur, assisted by his spad, Merlin, or the heathen Oswald, assisted by his spad, Osmond. In Act 111, Osmond tries to woo Arthur's girlfriend, Emmeline, by showing her a masque acted by spirits. He conjures up a vision of "Yzeland" and "farthest Thule", waking up the Cold Genius, who prefers to remain frozen, for Emmeline's entertainment.The Cold Genius really doesn't want to wake up, and protests in the song What Power Art Thou, voice shaking with cold.

COLD GENIUS:
What Power art thou,
Who from below,
Hast made me rise,
Unwillingly and slow,
From beds of everlasting snow!
See'st thou not how stiff,
And wondrous old,
Far unfit to bear the bitter cold.
I can scarcely move,
Or draw my breath,
I can scarcely move,
Or draw my breath.
Let me, let me, Let me,
let me, Freeze again...
Let me, let me, Freeze
again to death!

Anyway, after a few adventures involving a magic wood, it all turns out well for Arthur, who gets the top job, and Britannia emerges triumphantly from the waves, which, as we all know from the Proms, she will thereafter rule over, and Britons never, never, never, will be slaves.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All too apt, with a Brand Spanking New Cold War upon us, mrs ish.

Interesting rendition. Think I prefer the blokevoice versions (even the bizarre Klaus Nomi) but the organist accompaniment was good - I wonder if he was playing it more as originally written, as I don't remember the orchestral arrangements I've heard having that stutter in the melody, as though he's forgotten to play the next note, which is a very effective way of suggesting a heartbeat reluctantly firing up after a long deep spell in Olde Worlde cryonic suspension.

Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts. Ree-surch will surely soon reveal that Purcell once bought a potato, and must be cancelled with extreme prejudice before any more damage is done.

v./

mrs ishmael said...

Thank you, mr. verge - it's a peculiar piece of jingoism, but I thought I'd do my bit to whip up a spirit of nationalism now that we are once more living in Interesting, Cold Times. I'm not familiar with, nor knowledgeable about, opera - other than the great anthemic stadium numbers, but the poor old Cold Genius' song is very clever stuff indeed.
I was a little perplexed about the name, until I remembered my Ben Aaronovitch and the trouble he invents for Peter Grant with the various genii loci in the Rivers of London series. Genius Loci - the presiding god or spirit of a place.

mongoose said...

Not to my taste, mrs i, but it takes all sorts.

I see that just as we had a coalition of the stupid running the covid shitshow, we now have a coalition of folk who know everything about Eastern Europe. Clairvoyants and Mad Vlad's penpals abound on the telly spouting risibly coordinated gibberish for the most part. I think that all we can really say as of Saturday evening is that the Ukraine is still standing but plenty of it is smashed up. ANd maybe that Vlad is losing a decent amount of men and materiel. Of course, as mr mike reminds us, he has rather a lot of both at his disposal.

Mike said...

"many are cold, but few are frozen".

That is about to change in a very big way. I can't believe the SWIFT thing. It means no more Russian energy (incl to the UK), and the beginning of the end for the US dollar reserve currency.

The UK has gone completely bonkers. The only logic I can see (but I have to say that they are not possibly that clever) in the UK pushing for the SWIFT thing is that it is payback for Suez, and a masterstroke to bring down the dollar.

And, when Russia gets control of Ukraine in the next few days, it consolidates its position as the world's leader in energy, metals, food, etc..

Prepare for massive rises in energy bills, and food, and inflation generally. Blame it all on Truss, Wallace, and especially BoJo; and not forgetting the US.

ultrapox said...

cutting off european energy supplies and swiftly ending the us dollar reserve-currency seems utterly suicidal doesn't it, mr mike...?

nevertheless, when russia are fully committed to the occupation of ukraine - and possibly bogged down by the nato-assisted forces there - it might be wise to reckon on the us finishing business in syria - or even starting up a conflict with iran.

unfortunately, the western leadership has descended into such a corrupt mess that - in its power-crazed eyes - the only way out is world-war and self-imposed poverty...

just not in the good ol' us of a, of course.

by-the-way, can anyone explain why there was such a huge spike in ukraine's excess-mortality-rate towards the end of 2021?

mongoose said...

And possibly, mr mike, it means the end of eco-bollocks too.