Wednesday 2 July 2014

EVENSONG. Solomon Burke & Gillian Welch - Valley Of Tears

David Rawlings is neither as accomplished nor as experienced a musician as Richard Thompson, not as lyrical or expressive but Goodness me, he can do that flatpicking Bluegrass stuff like no-one else; edgy, dissonant, yet graceful and comforting. Rawlings plays like Bob Dylan used to sing with the Band - you think he'll run out of bars before he gets all those notes in, but he never fails. I had never heard this song before and would have avoided the late Mr Burke like the plague; Welch and Rawlings, though, invest everything with magic.

5 comments:

the noblest prospect said...

Fuck me, that's a lot of worsted. Fine song, though.

callmeishmael said...

He surely was one fat fucker. I thought at first that it was the old, Buddy Holly Valley of Tears, mr tnp, but it is a different and fine song; just goes to illustrate what I was saying yesterday, about the Psalms being the birth of the Blues, Psalm 84, in this case.

Alphons said...


10/10

Anonymous said...

Works.

Oh, and your screen is wrong Ish, you're cutting off left and right. Subrosa cuts off to the right as well.

call me ishmael said...

I know, mr rwg, I can't fix it but if you click bottom far right it will take you straight to the full youtube screen. Unless anyone has any other suggestions. I have positioned the clip left, right and centre in the blog edit but it makes no difference. Poor, poor, pitiful me; poor, poor pitiful me.